Monday, December 1, 2008

I'm a window shoppaaa

If only that were the case...
So my family (my mom, 2 sisters, and their bf's who aren't considered "family", but eh..) and I braved the crowds at North Park mall in Dallas Friday morning on my way back to Houston. This place was craaaazy. We walked past Bebe (which I've never been a HUGE fan of), and the line was INSANE. It was snaking through the store occupied by women salivating over their soon-to-be purchases. And I walked by several times - the line was neverending at all times. So after shopping ALL day - literally - and running into Miss Tina Lin (woo hoo!) I was pooped. I didn't even get to go through half of the stores in the mall let alone the whole thing. Every year (or month, depending on my shopping itches) I'm torn between buying and not buying. A lot of the times I just feel guilty about it, but I am the person who will sacrifice kitchen devices, home decorations and possibly food to shop. So doesn't that justify me spending a little more money on clothes/accessories/shoes since I am willing to cut back on the other things? (Sure, Jen).

Well one of the very first sermons I remember Pastor Smith preaching about was regarding Christmas and Madison Ave. techniques. He said that we'll notice the church will never have too many "holiday decor" and Christmas trees and whatnot, because that's not what celebrating Christmas is all about. He even said his kids have never gotten a present on Christmas Day, because it's not their birthday. And when it was their birthday, they would receive the appropriate gifts. I noticed plenty of people were tweeting "No buying day". Not sure what that meant, except maybe they were protesting the consumerist society that America has become (myself included).

Well maybe this will help explain some of it. Shopping has always been a bonding type of thing for my family. When my parents worked a lot, they'd take us on a shopping trip to Dallas (why not WF you ask? you can see our mall from end to end when you enter from any one entrance). And I've come to discover that my parents show their love and receive their love in the form of gifts (and some quality time). Not that my parents spoiled us rotten when we were kids, and not that they will only think we love them when we buy them gifts, but that's just how they showed their love to us. When my mom can take all three of us shopping she sees that as spending quality time with us, AND she LOVES shopping with us. She doesn't necessarily like shopping alone. Only when she shops with us. So I guess none of this justifies my overspending at times or my lack of control when I shop at times, but this year I don't feel bad for shopping and buying. I feel like I spent good quality time with the fam, my mommy was very happy (which she repeatedly told me throughout the day) and I think she really appreciated it.

What are your thoughts on shopping for the holidays?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't understand why people boycott black Friday. "No buying day." You tend to find better deals on those days saving you money for purchases you will inevitably make in the future. Would I rather spend $80 now on something I will buy later in the future when it is not on sale (for example $100)? That extra $20 can go towards other things. To me black Friday is similar to tax free weekends. Why do people not boycott that? People are buying crazy amounts of stuff on tax free weekends because they are saving money..not sticking it to the man (Obama).

TL said...

First of all, I LOVE getting shoutouts! It was so exciting to see you - first time in years.

I think I'm the same as you. My mom raised me in an environment where her language of love was buying me and my brother things...and that habit has passed on to me as well. But, unlike you, I am definitely spoiled. But working on it!

Ingram Gang said...

I think....go for it! Make the purchase.
Trust me, once you have children, things change. All of the 'splurges' I had pre-baby, are great. There are so many things that now I think, I am soooo glad I bought that when I did (even though at the time I didn't feel like we had the money to do so) because now that I stay home, I really couldn't buy it.
Happy shopping!